Saturday 18 July 2015

52 Weeks of Cookies - Week 3

Snickers Cheesecake Cookies


Confession: although I made my best attempt to follow the recipe that the link will take you to... I deviated from it... A LOT

Ok, so I buy most of my ingredients for the month the first Tuesday of the month.
Why the first Tuesday?
I can save 10% at 3 different grocery stores on this day.
So I check their flyers and pick the store with the best deals (how Mennonite of me)
OR I pick one that I can collect airmiles on because... why not?

So, how did I change up the recipe?
First off, this isn't my first time baking these.  
I remembered from the last time I tried to make these that I had a difficult time finding cheesecake flavoured pudding.  Such a difficult time that I never did actually find it.
I know I substituted vanilla pudding for it but I couldn't remember if I also added cream cheese.
Well, this time I didn't have cream cheese in my fridge so that wasn't an option.
So TECHNICALLY, I made Snickers Vanilla Cookies

On to my next adaptation to the recipe.

Remember how I bought all my ingredients at the beginning of the month?
Well, I obviously bought my pudding.  
I tend to go for the lower fat version that claims to be better for you.
This time that meant it was sweetened with splenda (yuck).  I figured since this recipe called for 3/4 cups of both regular and brown sugar you wouldn't even be able to taste the splenda (and I was right).
Unfortunately, that splenda sweetened instant pudding was no near the amount that I needed.
After doing some quick thinking I decided I would make half a recipe... this was I would have extra Snickers... YUM!

So, I start off halving the recipe really well.  
As in I added half the amount of butter that it called for.
Then I put in the full amount of sugar and eggs and was about to add the vanilla when I stopped and said 
"Wait"

I didn't want to head out to the grocery store (there is one conveniently across the street but that instant pudding wouldn't be 10% off!
After doing some more thinking and glancing through my cupboard I came across from custard powder.
"this is basically pudding" I said to myself.

By this point I had pretty much given up on measuring or doing more math to figure out how much of it I should actually add and just dumped the custard powder in until it looked to be about the same amount of instant pudding powder that I had added.

Then I added some extra vanilla because I just wasn't sure what was happening anymore.

Oh, and I don't think the original recipe says to chop up the Snickers bites but I did.

I know what you're thinking
"eep... did these ones turn out?"

HAVE NO FEAR!






The cookies were still super yummy!

So, I believe we have all learned a valuable lesson.
Make the cookies with the cheesecake pudding
Or make them with vanilla
OR make them with vanilla and custard.

They will be edible.

Their rating....
10/10!

The combination of peanut butter and caramel and chocolate makes these yummy!
I kind of wish there was more Snickers in them (obviously, I didn't measure those either and obviously I ate a few too)

Next week I'm making some cookies I've never made before.
So get excited!

No comments: